Officers in Newport held an operation yesterday targeting travelling criminality. During the operation, 53 vehicles were stopped….
- One person was arrested as they had failed to appear at Cardiff Magistrates Court for traffic offences and a warrant had been issued for their arrest.
- One vehicle was seized for using red diesel. A £539 on the spot fine was issued.
- Four people found committing benefit fraud, two of which had an immediate suspension of their benefits. Follow up enquiries are being made by the Department of Work & Pensions on all four.
- Four follow up enquiries to be made by the UK Border Agency, including three Polish nationals, who were found in the same car, who had been convicted of offences since being admitted to the UK.
- Nine vehicles immediately taken off the road by VOSA for a variety of serious defects.
- One vehicle taken off the road by VOSA for exceeding drivers hours.
- One vehicle taken off the road by VOSA for being 10% overweight.
- Five vehicles were seized for not having adequate insurance.
- 13 traffic offence reports were issued for offences including no insurance, no licence, defective tyres and seat belt offences
Inspector Matthew Havard said: “We want to send a strong message to anyone intent on criminality in our communities, that this will not be tolerated. More operations are planned for the future, so be warned, we will be waiting!”
Source:: Gwent Police News