Assault, Torquay

Police are appealing for witnesses following reports of an assault in Torquay.

The incident was reported to have taken place at around 11.30pm on Saturday 17 October in Fleet Walk, Fleet Street.

The victims were approached by a group of people who assaulted them.

The male victim, a man in his 30s, was reportedly assaulted to the head causing visible injury. He was taken to hospital for treatment and later released.

The female victim, a woman in her 30s, was reportedly grabbed and assaulted. She did not require medical treatment.

A 19-year-old woman and two boys aged 16 and 14, from Torquay were arrested in connection to the incident and later released under investigation pending further enquiries.

Investigating officer, DC Sara Freestone said: “The victims are believed to have listening to a busker in the street when they were approached by a group of people, unknown to them, and assaulted.

“I’m keen to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time and may have information which could assist the investigation.”

Anyone who witnessed the incident and anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 quoting CR/087840/20.

Source:: Devon and Cornwall Police News

Man sought by police, South Devon

Police are appealing for information to help located a 53-year-old man from the South Devon area.

John Appleton, who also goes by the name John Williams, is wanted on recall to prison for breaching the conditions of his license.

He is believed to be in the Paignton area but has links to Torquay and Dartmouth areas.

Anyone who sees him or knows of his whereabouts is asked to contact police on 999 quoting log 682 6/10/20.

Source:: Devon and Cornwall Police News

Passing out parade for Devon and Cornwall recruits thrust into frontline of Covid-19 crisis

The 23 new graduate recruits began their post-graduate course on 16 March just days before the country went into national lockdown and almost immediately found themselves deployed in the force control room to help deal with 999 calls.

The cohort came into the force via the Degree Holder Entry Programme (DHEP), a route which was designed to recruit officers from a wide range of backgrounds.

With the classroom phase of their induction now complete they passed out in a ceremony at police headquarters in Exeter on Tuesday October 20 before being sent out to work as officers across Devon and Cornwall.

Assistant chief Constable Jim Nye, who is to oversee the ceremony, said: “We are really pleased to see these new students complete their initial training after what was a challenging period.

“Their initiation into hands-on working came a little sooner than usual because of the pandemic and they spent some time in the control room during what was a learning experience for everyone.

“I would like to welcome them into the Devon and Cornwall police family and wish them well when they start their first work assignments.”

Covid-19 restrictions have made it impossible to gather student officers and their families for the important ceremonies which mark major milestones for new officers.

Devon & Cornwall Police has also moved 12 weeks of the 20-week classroom training programme for new officers online. 

The force took just five days to develop an online training package with partners to allow the force to maintain current training schedules – helping the Devon & Cornwall to respond to the national uplift in police officer numbers.

Training was not halted by the pandemic and the number of recruits will have doubled by the end of the financial year compared to last year.

The usual six courses a year has been increased to 12 and the usual number of 132 will be doubled to around 264.

The latest intake comes from a wide range of backgrounds, including two officers of Polish background,  and was split evenly between men and women and aged between 21 and 37.

After a week’s break, they will join the four basic command units which make up the force area.

Alison Hernandez, Police and Crime Commissioner for Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, spoke at the ceremony. 

“We did not stop recruiting because of the pandemic and these officers found themselves thrust straight into one of the biggest emergencies in living memory,” she said.

“They had to adapt as the force responded to that crisis, heading straight to the front line to add resilience to our contact centre. That ability to change will stand them in good stead throughout what promise to be varied and interesting careers.

“When I became PCC in 2016 Devon and Cornwall had a budget for 2,924 sworn police officers. Today that figure stands at 3,241 thanks to the contribution made by taxpayers who told me they wanted more police men and women on the beat. It is because of their investment we have today a cohort of officers of all ages, sexes and backgrounds who are ready to do their part to build safer, connected and resilient communities.”

Source:: Devon and Cornwall Police News

Man jailed for Plymouth murder

A 43-year-old man from Plymouth has today, 21 October been sentenced to life in prison to serve a minimum of 28 years for murder.

Anthony Brinton, of No Fixed Abode, Plymouth, pleaded guilty to murder Plymouth Crown Court following a seven day jury trial. Brinton has claimed a partial defence of loss of control, but the judge stated that there was no enough evidence and Brinton changed his plea to guilty.

The court heard that Police had been called shortly after 3am on Monday 13 January, to a property on Cliff Road, Plymouth, following reports of concern for the welfare of a man inside.

Emergency services attended the address where 31-year-old Adrian Cieslik was located with multiple serious head injuries. He was taken to Derriford hospital in a critical condition where he later died on Sunday 22 March.

Following the incident Brinton disposed of the murder weapon and his clothing in the sea. He put on fresh clothing that he had in his van before he drove to a second location where he disposed of more clothing.

Brinton was initially arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and was subsequently charged and remanded into custody. He was later charged with murder following Adrian’s death.

Anthony Brinton was sentenced at Plymouth Crown Court on 21 October to life in prison, to serve a minimum of 28 years.

Senior investigating officer, Detective Inspector Costa Nassaris, said: “This was a vicious and cowardly attack by Anthony Brinton, which we believe occurred when Adrian was lying in his bed. Brinton attacked the victim leaving him with terrible head injuries, which he would never recover from.

“This has been a complex and protracted investigation, which has been drawn out by the lies and blaming of others by Brinton. Only a thoroughly detailed investigation by determined officers from the Major Crime Investigation Team revealed his lies. The Judge was kind enough to commend the Police for the thoroughness of the investigation and highlighted the efforts of Detective Sergeant Dan Ritson and Detective Constable Shaun Harris. I would like to add my own thanks to them and to the prosecution team and members of the public who came forward to assist.

 “Mr Cieslik had moved to Plymouth where he was working to create a good life for himself and we have sent our deepest condolences to his family, who live in Poland and were unable to attend the trial. We hope today’s outcome will bring some small comfort to them.”

Source:: Devon and Cornwall Police News

Assault, Exeter

Police are appealing for witnesses of an attack on a 34-year-old man by the Premier Inn, Exeter.

Officers would particularly like to speak to a group of females and two men in a white van who are believed to have seen the incident which occurred at around 10am on Thursday 15 October.

The victim was walking down St Clement’s Lane, the steps between St David’s Hill and Bonhay Road, which runs alongside the hotel, when he was approached by a man who jumped out in front of him and purposefully kept stepping in his way shouting “get out of my way”.

The offender then attacked the victim, punching him repeatedly in the head and face, causing bruising and swelling to his nose and jaw and a black eye.

Police would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the attack, particularly the group of females, who may have videoed the incident, and the two men in the van who stopped to check on the victim, but couldn’t stop due to the traffic on Bonhay Road.

The offender is described as a white male in his mid-20s, around 5’9” in height and of medium build. He had short black curly hair and a scruffy appearance. He was possibly wearing a light-coloured hoody and light-coloured jogging bottoms. Initially he was with another male who tried to stop him, described as a white male, in his mid-20s with short blonde hair and wearing jeans.

The victim is described as a white male with short brown curly hair. He was wearing a black hoody, dark blue jeans and a grey rucksack. His glasses were knocked off during the assault and he left them behind as he tried to escape.

Anyone who has any information about this attack is asked to contact police on 101 or via email at [email protected] quoting crime reference number CR/086949/20.

 

Source:: Devon and Cornwall Police News

Robbery, Plymouth

Police are appealing for witnesses following a robbery in the Stonehouse area of Plymouth on Monday 19 October.

Officers are seeking information over the incident which happened in King Street at around 3.50pm.

The male victim, aged in his 20s, was approached, assaulted and had a silver chain and his mobile phone stolen

Police would in particular like to speak with an unknown male who intervened and helped the victim.

Two local men, aged 29 and 26, have been arrested on suspicion of robbery and remain in police custody at this time.

Anyone with information is urged to call police on 101, or email [email protected], quoting crime reference CR/088341/20.

Source:: Devon and Cornwall Police News

Missing Person - Exeter

Police have growing concerns for  missing male Kevin O’RORKE from the WONFORD area of EXETER.

Last known contact with Kevin was on FRIDAY 16th OCTOBER 2020 and he has not been seen or soken to since.

Kevin is described as a white male, approximately 5ft10, athletic build, short brown hair with blue eye. It is not known what he is wearing.

Kevin is a keen runner around the EXETER area.

If you have any information regarding Kevin, please contact Devon & Cornwall Police on Tel: 101 quoting reference log number 0835 19/10/2020.

 

Source:: Devon and Cornwall Police News

Collision involving van and pedestrian, Plymouth

At 10.50am on Sunday 18 October 2020 Police were called to Wolseley Road, St Budeaux following reports of a collision involving a white Fiat Doblo van and a pedestrian.

The 87-year-old male pedestrian sustained head and leg injuries and was taken to Derriford hospital where he was treated. He has since been discharged and his next of kin are aware.

The driver of the Fiat Doblo van, a 46-year-old local man stopped at the scene and is assisting police with their investigation.

Officers from the Alliance Roads Policing Team attended the collision to investigate and establish how the collision occurred.

Witnesses and anybody with dashcam footage of the collision, or the driving of the vehicle prior to the collision are requested to contact police.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 quoting log 310 18/10/20.

Source:: Devon and Cornwall Police News

Road Traffic Collision - A38 Glyn Valley

At approximately 19:30 hours on Sunday 18th October 2020, Devon and Cornwall Police received a call from a member of the public stating that there had been a collision where a single vehicle had collided into a house causing the car and house to catch fire, trapping the driver in the process.

The scene was initially attended by Officers from Devon and Cornwall Roads Policing Team (RPT) who evacuated the occupants of the house and a large number of dogs. Cornwall Fire and Rescue also attended along with Paramedics. The single male occupant of the vehicle was extracted from the car shortly before police arrived.

The driver of the car was conscious and breathing although in heavy shock and substantial pain. The driver was taken to Derriford Hospital where he was confirmed to have a broken arm and other soft tissue injuries. The male was subsequently arrested whilst at Derriford Hospital for Arson offences.

Officers from Devon and Cornwall RPT alongside Collision investigation and Fire Scene Investigation officers attended the scene and the road was closed for several hours to allow a thorough investigation and prolonged damping down by Fire and Rescue.

Subsequent investigation work will be completed by CID officers.

If anyone has any additonal information which may help the investigation, please contact the police on Tel: 101 quoting Log 804 18/10/20 

 

Source:: Devon and Cornwall Police News

Fatal Collision - A38 Ashburton

At 1712 hours on Sunday 18th October 2020, Police were notified of a single vehicle road traffic collision which occurred on the Exeter Bound A38 dual carriageway between Dart bridge and Ashburton.

As a result of the collision, the driver of the vehicle was pronounced deceased at the scene.  The road was closed while a forensic examination took place.

Any witnesses to the collision who haven’t already spoken to Police are asked to contact the Police on Tel: 101 quoting Log 704 – 18th October 2020, especially if you have any Dashcam footage.

Police would like to thank the members of the public for their patience whilst we investigated the scene

Source:: Devon and Cornwall Police News