Man released under investigation following incident in Melton Mowbray

A man arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm following an incident in Melton Mowbray has been released under investigation.

Two other men, who were arrested on suspicion of the same offence in connection with the incident yesterday evening, have been released on police bail.

Officers had been called to a property in Bentley Street just before 11.30pm on Wednesday (17 October) following a report a man had suffered stab wounds.

The man, aged 32, was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham.

His injuries were believed to be life-threatening and he remains in hospital where he is receiving treatment.

While in attendance at the scene, officers were made aware of a report that another man had suffered stab wounds in a separate area of Bentley Street.

The man, aged 33, was taken to the Leicester Royal Infirmary with injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening or life-changing. He was later discharged from hospital.

The 32-year-old man, of Nottingham, and the 33-year-old man, of Melton Mowbray, were both arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.

The 32-year-old man has been released under investigation. The 33-year-old man, of Melton Mowbray, has been released on police bail.

An 18-year-old man, of Nottingham, who was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm has been released on police bail.

Detective Inspector Tim Lindley said: “Enquiries are continuing and we urge anyone who has any information to get in touch.

“Were you in the area of Bentley Street yesterday evening? Did you see or hear anything which caused you concern? Do you have any CCTV or dashcam footage from the area which could hold vital information?”

Anyone who has any information is asked to contact 101 quoting incident 18000500555.

Source:: Leicestershire Police News

Man threatened during robbery in Enderby

A man was threatened with a knife and had cash stolen during a robbery in Enderby, Leicestershire.

The victim, who is in his 40s, was walking along Mill Lane at around 5pm yesterday (Wednesday 17 October) when he was approached by two men on a motorbike.

The victim reported that the man on the rear of the motorbike had a knife while a third man on a bicycle was also seen behind the victim blocking his way.

The man with the knife demanded the victim’s phone, which was later thrown to the ground. Cash was also stolen from the victim’s wallet.

No injuries were reported following the incident.

The three men left the scene heading towards the area of Bantlam Lane and straight over Kirk Lane.

The motorcycle used in the incident was described as an Aprilia black motorcycle which has a red stripe on the petrol tank.

The men are described as all speaking with an Irish accent.

Enquiries are continuing into the incident.

Police Constable Harry Jenkison said: “This happened at a time when people would have been in the area, including driving in the area.

“If you were in the area, please think back to anything which you may have seen which caused you concern. If you have any CCTV or dashcam footage from the area, please also check this to see if it holds any information which could help us.”

Anyone with any information should contact 101 quoting incident 18000500107.

Source:: Leicestershire Police News

Man in hospital following incident in Melton Mowbray

A man is in hospital after suffering serious injuries following an incident in Melton Mowbray.

Police were called to a property in Bentley Street, just before 11.30pm yesterday (Wednesday), following a report a man had suffered stab wounds.

The man, aged 32, was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham.

His injuries were believed to be life-threatening and he remains in hospital where he is receiving treatment.

While in attendance at the scene, officers were made aware of a report that another man had suffered stab wounds in a separate area of Bentley Street.

The man, aged 33, was taken to the Leicester Royal Infirmary with injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening or life-changing. He has since been discharged.

The 32-year-old man, of Nottingham, and the 33-year-old man, of Melton Mowbray, have both been arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm. The 33-year-old man is currently in police custody.

An 18-year-old man, of Nottingham, has also been arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and also remains in police custody.

Police cordons remain in place in Bentley Street while initial enquiries continue.

Detective Inspector Tim Lindley said: “We are continuing to establish the full circumstances of this incident and urge anyone who has any information to get in touch.

“Were you in the area of Bentley Street yesterday evening? Did you see or hear anything which caused you concern? Do you have any CCTV or dashcam footage from the area which could hold vital information?”

Anyone who has any information is asked to contact 101 quoting incident 18000500555.

Source:: Leicestershire Police News

Arrest made after body found in Leicester

An 18-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder following the discovery of a body at a house in Southfields Drive, Leicester.

Police received a report of an altercation at the address at 10.15pm yesterday (Wednesday 17 October).

On arrival, a man’s body was found inside. Formal identification has not yet taken place.

The arrested man, who is from Leicester, remains in police custody.

The property has been cordoned off to allow officers to carry out a full forensic examination of the scene and enquiries are continuing surrounding the incident.

Officers are investigating the circumstances that led to the man’s death and would urge anyone who has information – or who recalls seeing or hearing anything suspicious in the vicinity of Southfields Drive – to contact police.

If anyone has any information, they are asked to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, quoting incident 683 of 17 October.

Source:: Leicestershire Police News

Guilty pleas entered in sex offences case

A 20-year-old man has pleaded guilty to 11 sexual offences against a number of young girls.

Ryan Steadman, of Stud Road, Barleythorpe, Oakham, pleaded guilty yesterday (17 October) at a Leicester Crown Court hearing.

Steadman was arrested in February this year when the force received information from another police force that a 14-year-old girl had travelled to Leicestershire to meet with Steadman after chatting on social media. It was alleged that whilst in Oakham, Steadman had engaged in sexual activity with the girl.

Following initial questioning, he was released from custody but remained under investigation while specialist officers and staff from the force’s CSE team continued to investigate and subsequently established he had been in contact with other girls.

He was charged with a total of 39 counts against 11 victims.

Today, Steadman pleaded guilty to 11 counts involving six victims. Those counts are:

  • Five counts of causing a child aged 13 to 15 to watch a sexual act
  • Four counts of inciting a child aged 13 to 15 to engage in sexual activity
  • Two counts of sexual activity with a child, aged 13 to 14

All offences happened between 2015 and 2018. All other counts will lie on file.

Detective Inspector Jenni Heggs, who is in charge of the force’s CSE team, said: “Steadman’s usual method of offending was to contact a number of children, usually girls aged 13 to 15-years-old, via Snapchat and try to engage them in conversation.

“CSE is a crime which sadly is on the rise especially given the ease of social media and its popularity with young people. We know that some victims find it difficult in coming forward and talking about the abuse they have suffered or don’t always realise the signs they are being groomed before it’s too late. We want to reassure any CSE victim that there is support available and specialist staff here to assist them through that process.

“Our team of representatives from the police, social care, health and other support workers will continue to work together to safeguard children and identify, prevent and disrupt CSE.”

The following websites offer useful advice and help about the dangers of engaging with those on social media you don’t know and how you can help children stay safe online:
– www.childnet.com

  • www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe

  • www.net-aware.org.uk

  • www.parentzone.org.uk

  • www.internetmatters.org

  • www.ceop.police.uk/Safety-Centre

Source:: Leicestershire Police News

Force supports Anti-Slavery Day

Leicestershire Police is supporting a national day aimed at raising awareness of the issue of modern day slavery and human trafficking.

Today (18 October) is national Anti-Slavery Day which was created to provide an opportunity to draw attention to the subject and assist in recognising and identifying the scale and scope of human trafficking.

The Anti-Slavery Day Act became law in 2010 with the Modern Slavery Act becoming law in 2015.

The force has a dedicated team to tackle the issue and raise awareness of this type of crime. The team deal with reports of potential slavery or forced labour across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.

Modern slavery is a brutal form of organised crime in which people are treated as commodities and exploited for criminal gain. Modern slavery, in particular human trafficking, is an international problem and victims may have entered the United Kingdom illegally, on forged documents and placed in work environments to the benefit of those traffickers.

Equally, they may be British citizens living in the United Kingdom forced to work and live in terrible conditions or transported around to locations they don’t want to be in.

Detective Sergeant Scott Cairns, from the force’s modern slavery team said: “Modern slavery can include sexual exploitation, forced labour and domestic servitude.

“Victims can come from different walks of life and are often unwilling to come forward to and speak to law enforcement or public protection agencies, not seeing themselves as victims, or fearing further reprisals from their abusers.

“There may be social and cultural barriers meaning men don’t identify themselves as victims, and sufferers might not be recognised as victims of modern slavery by those who come into contact with them.

“It is often believed that this type of crime doesn’t exist amongst local communities so we need the public to be aware of the issue and to look for the signs that suggest that they may be aware of a victim of slavery or trafficking.

“If you or anyone you know has concerns about someone being exploited in this way, we would encourage you to report those concerns.”

DS Cairns added: “We want people to know that there are agencies within Leicestershire that can help them. We work closely with partner agencies to make sure people know where to go in their time of need.”

You can telephone the Modern Slavery Helpline on 08000 121 700 or call us on 101. Alternatively you can call Crimestoppers which is free and anonymous, on 0800 555 111.

The website www.modernslavery.co.uk gives guidance on how to identify the signs and how to report them. The website www.antislaveryday.com includes details of events planned around the national awareness day.

Source:: Leicestershire Police News

Renewed appeal to fatal collision in Ashby

Detectives investigating a fatal collision in Ashby earlier this month have issued a renewed appeal for information.

It happened on Moira Road, just before 6.25pm on Saturday 6 October and involved a silver Ford Fusion and a grey Skoda Octavia taxi.

The driver of the Ford, 42-year-old Emma Goodin, from Worthington, was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham where she subsequently died.

The driver and a passenger in the Skoda were taken to the Queen’s Medical
Centre with non-life-threatening injuries.

Detective Constable Pete Davies, from Leicestershire Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit (SCIU), said: “Today I’m asking for anyone who was travelling along Moira Road on the evening of 6 October and has not yet spoken to police to come forward.

“I know that the Ford Fusion was travelling along Moira Road towards Ashby and the taxi was travelling in the opposite direction.

“I’m particularly keen to hear from anyone who saw the either vehicle prior to the collision or has dashcam footage that may assist with my investigation.”

Call DC Davies on 101, quoting incident 491 of 6 October.

Source:: Leicestershire Police News

Woman who died in A447 collision named

A woman who died in a collision on the A447 near Osbaston, Leicestershire, has been named by police.

Lucy Sandford-James, of Kirkby Mallory, died in the incident which happened just south of the junction with Hall Lane at around 1.20am on Tuesday (16 October).

Police were called to the single-vehicle collision, which involved a silver 2012 model Ford KA car. East Midlands Ambulance Service was also in attendance.

Lucy Sandford-James, 22, was pronounced dead at the scene.

A road closure was in place following the incident while initial enquiries were carried out. The road was reopened at around 8.20am on Tuesday.

Officers investigating the incident are continuing to appeal to the public for information.

Detective Constable Seamus Burns said: “Enquiries are continuing into this collision and we are appealing to anyone who has any information regarding the incident to contact us to help us, and Lucy’s family, establish the full circumstances.

“Did you see a silver Ford KA car in the area during the early hours of Tuesday morning? Did you witness the incident? Do you have any dashcam footage from around the area at this time? If you have any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, then please get in touch.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact 101 quoting incident 18000496760.

Source:: Leicestershire Police News

'All is Not Lost' films win national award

Leicestershire Police’s ‘All is Not Lost,’ campaign, launched to help victims of rape secure justice, has been honoured in The 8th Annual Lovie Awards.

The Lovie Awards recognise excellence on the European internet accepting and judging work in seven native languages across all parts of the web: websites, internet video, online advertising, mobile sites, apps and podcasts and social media. The awards are named in honour of Britain’s Ada Lovelace who is credited as being the first computer programmer.

All Is Not Lost is a two-part film, which is part of a wider campaign, to raise awareness about rape, increase the number of successful prosecutions and challenge the myths and preconceptions jury members, and members of the public may have in relation to rape victims and perpetrators.

It is a hard-hitting campaign which depicts the impact that the loss of evidence can have on the police’s chances to prosecute, and encourages the quick reporting of offences and the preservation of evidence.

The campaign has won Silver in The Lovie Awards category of internet video, public service and activism – it has also been nominated for five other industry awards.

Assistant Chief Constable Julia Debenham said; “We are very honoured to have won a silver award especially when you consider the large number of entries from across Europe. A lot of thought, care and research went into developing ‘All is Not Lost’ and we consulted extensively with victims, support groups, counsellors, investigators and the Crown Prosecution Service to make sure such an emotional issue was handled carefully.

“I hope this award, and our other nominations, will encourage more people to watch the films, and more importantly, that they give victims the confidence to report offences, knowing that they will be treated with sensitivity and compassion. I also hope that people will look beyond what they think they see and judge cases on evidence, rather than assumption.”

The Managing Director of The Lovie Awards, Emily Warren, said; “This is a great honour. The Lovies is the leading and most prestigious European awards honouring excellence on the Internet. Of nearly 1,500 entries from over 33 countries, the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences (IADAS) chose your work as among the very best of the European Internet. Your work truly represents the best of the region.”

Tim Cabrelli, senior partner at Affixxius Films, who made the two films, said; “We’re delighted that ‘All is Not Lost’ is getting the recognition it deserves. It’s an important film, with an equally important message, which we hope will continue to get further traction online thanks to this award”

Source:: Leicestershire Police News

Leicester man sentenced for sexual abuse

A 54-year-old man from Leicester has been jailed for child sexual abuse at Leicester Crown Court.

Michael Anderson of Webster Road, Braunstone, appeared today (Tuesday 16 October), where he pleaded guilty to causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

He was sentenced to 32 months imprisonment, ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register for life and issued with a 10 year Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

He was also issued with a life-long restraining order against the aggrieved.

Anderson, met his victim in 2012 when she was 11 years old and set about befriending her over a number of years.

He bought her sweets, clothes and gave her cigarettes, making out he was someone she could talk to and rely on.

When his victim turned 13, his behaviour towards her changed, becoming predatory. His comments became more personal and he instigated sexual activity with her.

Detective Constable Rebekah Cortez, the investigating officer, said: “Anderson knew exactly what he was doing when he set out to manipulate and take advantage of a child.

“He preyed upon his victim showing no concern for her age or vulnerability.

“The victim lived with the nightmare of what had happened to her for a number of years before she felt able to disclose her ordeal to a teacher.

“I must commend her bravery to reach out and report Anderson’s behaviour to police and I sincerely hope that following today’s outcome she will now begin to move forward with her life.”

Leicestershire Police works in partnership with a number of agencies committed to tackle child sexual exploitation (CSE).

If you think you are a victim of CSE, or know someone who may be a victim, advice and information on who to speak to can be found by visiting https://leics.police.uk/advice-and-information/information-zone/child-sexual-exploitation

Source:: Leicestershire Police News