Officers in Gwent have been out and about using a roadside drug test called a ‘DrugWipe’ which uses a saliva sample to test for the likes of Cannabis and Cocaine.
The test shows a valid reading within as little as 8 minutes and if positive officers will take the motorist to a police station for a blood test, which will be used in any prosecution.
From their introduction back in May 2015 officers across Gwent have recorded 279 positive ‘DrugWipe’ tests to date (11th July 2016).
We have so far disqualified 97 drivers for being on drugs with a total disqualification period of 157 years and 2 months, with 109 drivers still waiting on test and court results.
This proves the test is a big step forward in bringing more drug driving criminals to justice.
Inspector Huw Jones said: ‘These results, continual arrests and convictions are helping us to ultimately keep our roads safe and save lives.
Those who get behind the wheel whilst under the influence of drugs not only put their own lives and passengers at risk, but also those of innocent pedestrians and other motorists.
We have also just had a delivery of even more tests so officers will using these to crack down on this unacceptable behaviour and take serious action ‘
If you are convicted of drug driving you’ll get:
· A minimum 1 year ban.
· An unlimited fine.
· Up to 6 months in prison.
· A criminal record.
· Your driving licence will also show you’ve been convicted of drug driving… this will last for 11 years.
· If convicted of death by dangerous driving whilst under the influence of drugs you could get a prison sentence of up to 14 years.
· Your car insurance will increase significantly.
· If you drive for work, your employer will see your conviction on your licence.
· You may have trouble getting into countries like the USA.
If you have any information or believe someone could be driving whilst over the limit please call us on 101 or 999 in an emergency.
Source:: Gwent Police News