Victoria Park attack - detectives given more time to question youth

Officers have been granted a Magistrate’s extension to continue questioning a 17-year-old following an attack on a woman in Leicester’s Victoria Park.

Police believe the woman, in her 20s, was attacked at around 11.40pm on Monday (3 July).

She was taken to hospital with very serious injuries and she remains in a critical condition.

The suspect was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder yesterday evening (4 July) and taken into custody where he was further arrested on suspicion of rape. Detectives have been given a further 31 hours to continue questioning him.

A large area of the park was cordoned off to allow Crime Scene Investigators to conduct a detailed examination of the scene where the woman was found.

The cordon remains in place today in order for a more detailed search of the area around the scene to be carried out.

Detective Chief Inspector Rob Widdowson, who is leading the investigation, said: “We are questioning a youth in custody and the investigation is continuing and we urgently need your help.

“This was an horrific assault and has left a young woman in an extremely serious condition in hospital.

“We want to trace anyone who may have been in the area of Victoria Park late on Monday night or in the early hours of yesterday and who may have seen something which can help us with our enquiries.

“I still urge anyone who was in the park between 11.30pm on Monday and 12.40am yesterday and who has not yet spoken to police to contact us.

“You may not think what you saw is significant, but we still want to speak to you.”

“Officers have been carrying out house to house enquiries in the area and as part of those enquiries we have been asking for CCTV footage from any commercial premises, private premises or vehicle sources.

“Any footage, no matter how brief, could be vital to the investigation.”

Anyone with any information about the assault is asked to call Leicestershire Police on 101 and quote incident 536 4 July 2017.

• Officers are no longer looking for the man in the CCTV footage which was issued yesterday

Source:: Leicestershire Police News

(Visited 6 times, 1 visits today)